Below are links to selected apps and podcasts. Some are provided via Epworth Knowledge Services' resources, others require personal subscriptions.
- CatchMyPain: Pain diary app that helps patients keep track of their pain. Available for iOS and Android.
- Cochrane Library: Produced by the Cochrane Library, this app presents updates on the latest evidence from the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Available for iOS and Andriod. There is no cost for the app, however in-app purchases may be required to access some content.
- Embryo: Produced by the National Library of Medicine, this app presents digital images of embryos at various stages of development from the Carnegie Embryo Collection. Available for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
- ePoctrates RxTM: Database of over 2,700 branded and generic drugs. Available for iOS and Android. No cost for app but premium access needed for some features.
- JAMA Network Challenge: Peer reviewed case-based practice quiz for diagnostic and medical knowledge revision. Available for IOS and Android. Registration required.
- Manage My Pain: Pain management app, available for iOS and Android.
- Medscape by WebMD: Contains clinical references with thousands of images and videos, as well as drug reference information, drug interaction checker and medical news. Available for iOS and Android.
- My Pain Diary: Pain diary app that helps users track and analyse their pain levels. Available for iOS only.
- NEJM This Week: Download free from iTunes to see the latest news and research from the new England Journal of Medicine.
- NLM Mobile: Includes PubMed®, MedlinePlus, DailyMed, AIDSInfo, LactMed and TOXNET. Available for iOS and Android, check iTunes and Google Play for addition applications.
- PubMed for Handhelds: Mobile site features multiple ways to search PubMed/MEDLINE, PICO, askMEDLINE, a free-text, natural language search and Consensus Abstracts. Available for iOS and Android.
- VisualDx: Decision making and reference tool including diagnoses and medical images. Available for iOS and Android. No cost for app, however there is a cost to purchase a subscription. Available for iOS and Android.
- Access Medicine: Register for a free MyAccess Account on the Epworth network to gain access to subscribed resources. To download the app visit the App Store or Google Play.
- ClinicalKey: ClinicalKey helps clinicians rapidly access evidence-based, peer-reviewed information. To use the app you will need to register for a personal account while on the Epworth network. To download the app visit App Store or Google Play.
- UpToDate: You can access UpToDate anywhere using the app. Register for an account while on the Epworth network. To download the app visit the App Store or Google Play.
Selected podcasts on a variety of clinical and general interest topics
- All In The Mind: ABC Radio National's exploration of all things mental.
- RehabCast: The Rehabilitation Medicine Update: From the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- As Seen From Here: Podcasts from the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
- Diabetes Core Update Podcasts: A monthly podcast devoted to presenting and discussing the latest clinically relevant articles from the American Diabetes Association’s scholarly journals.
- Health Report: Information and analysis on health and medical matters from the ABC's Radio National.
- All Audio iCritical Care: Podcasts from the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
- Mayo Clinic Podcast: Health and medical information and analysis from the Mayo Clinic.
- MJA Podcasts: Discussion, information and analysis from the Medical Journal of Australia.
- Nature Podcast: Features highlighted content from Nature, and interviews and analysis from scientists and journalists.
- Podcasts from the Cochrane Library: Updates on recent Cochrane reviews from the authors themselves.
- PTJ Podcasts: Author interviews and insights from behind the research from the journal Physical Therapy.
- Clinical Podcasts: UpToDate faculty discuss 'what's new' and 'practice changing updates' based on recent medical journal articles in their clinical podcasts.
- American Journal of Nursing Podcasts: Discussion and analysis from the American Journal of Nursing.
- CDC Podcasts: Health and safety information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine Podcasts: Includes HealthNews Feed for current medical news and PodMed for current developments in medical literature.
- Talk Medicine from BMJ: Podcasts from the British Medical Journal and other specialist journals.
- The Recommenced Dose: - Hosted by Dr Ray Moynihan, this podcast tackles the big questions in health and explores the insights, evidence and ideas of researchers, thinkers, writers and health professionals from around the globe.
Clinical Education Podcasts
- KeyLIME: A weekly journal club podcast produced by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Simulcast: 'A hi-fidelity podcast about healthcare simulation'
- SMACC: Podasts from the Social Media and Critical Care (SMACC) conferences.
- DJ Simulationistas... Sup?: Flagship podcast for the Center for Medical Simulation.
Media collections from healthcare organisations and publications
- Annals of Internal Medicine Web Exclusives: Media covering health and medical issues and insights.
- CTisus: Vidoes and podcasts dedicated to Computed Tomography (CT) and CT Scanning.
- The Lancet Multimedia Library: Includes video, audio and infographics.
- NCBI YouTube: Video tutorials and webinars from the National Center for Biotechnology Information.
- NeuRA Videos and Podcasts: Information and insights from Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA).
- TED Talks: Provides access to videos of inspiring speakers from around the world.
Last updated: 3 December 2018